Friday, June 30, 2017

Halle Berry on Her Oscar Win: It ‘Meant Nothing’ for Hollywood Diversity

Halle Berry became the first black woman to win an Academy Award for best actress in 2002 for her performance in “Monster’s Ball.” Fifteen years later, and she’s still the only woman of color to receive the coveted award. In a recent Teen Vogue interview at a panel at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, the actress divulged her thoughts on the Academy’s lack of diversity progress, most notably the 2016 Oscar nominations, which drew criticism for failing to represent nominees of color and sparked the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite. “I sat there and I really thought, ‘Wow, that moment really meant nothing. It meant nothing. I thought it meant something, but I think it meant nothing,'” she said of her own historic win in light of the 2016 nominations. Since her win, eight women of color have been nominated in the best-actress category.

2 comments:

  1. This has left my brain in a whirl. Can't absorb this at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this does not surprise me at all.

    ReplyDelete