Friday, April 21, 2017

Where were you

a year ago today, 
when you heard
Prince Rogers Nelson
passed away?






I had just landed in San Francisco, my layover of my trip to Toronto, Canada. I was going to vacation there for 5 days before hearing to Paris for 2 weeks. I was in a great mood. I was looking forward to my trip.  As I  departed the plane, I took my phone off Airplane Mode, and suddenly I received about 18 texts and about a dozen voicemails. I wondered what had happened just before a college friend called me at that point and said that Bernadette Cooper of the group Klymaxx stated that someone at Paisley Park had died. He said that they wasn''t sure who had died. I had hoped it wasn't Prince.
To be honest, I was thinking, anyone but Prince, but during the conversation my friend said that it was confirmed that it was indeed Prince. I refused to believe it. I told my friend that unless I saw it on a national news channel I was going to ignore the story. Then I turned around and saw the multiple television screens in the airport that was turned to the CNN channel, and it was confirmed that my favorite music artist of all time, Prince Rogers Nelson, was found dead in the elevator of his home in Chanhassen Minnesota.
After a couple minutes of speechlessness and denial, I cried. yes, I did. Before Prince, the only artist whose death hit me hard was Luther Vandross.
 What made it kind of worse was that I was wearing my favorite Prince Tshirt, and everyone who passed me in the airport who mentioned it, assumed I was wearing it in commemoration of his death, as if  I somehow knew earlier in the morning as I was packing and getting ready to leave the house that Prince was going to die that morning.
I was speechless, and my trip to Canada was bittersweet because it was my first time going to Toronto in years, and I wanted to be happy about it, but all I could think about was Prince, of whom I instantly liked more than Michael Jackson when I first heard Soft and Wet in 1978, a man who I fantasized singing a duet with Chante Moore at my wedding one day, was dead.
A year later, I'm still in disbelief.

If true, I would like to think that he, Michael Jackson, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, James Brown, Teena Marie, Denise Matthews, Maurice White, Natalie Cole, Vesta Williams, and Rick James are having  musical jam sessions in heaven.

I hope I'll be able to hear them again, one day. 



May peace be unto him. 
He was the subject of many a conversation when I was in Toronto and Paris.
Prince Rogers Nelson is indirectly responsible for the success of two of my favorite singers, Janet Jackson and Jody Watley, by the way.

(his music is almost impossible to find on youtube. I couldn't find the original of his debut song, but here's a remix I was able to find)




No comments:

Post a Comment