Thursday, March 30, 2017

The elephant in the room

My mother and I are speaking again. I'm glad. The issues-the secret she's keeping from me still exist, but I love her. I feel relieved that our conversations are pleasant and she's happy to hear from me, but there's that proverbial elephant in the room that rears it's ugly head from time to time. I don't say anything because we're on good terms but I find it puzzling that it doesn't even seem to be on her mind.
She was telling me yesterday about how she thinks her no-good ex-husband stole her birth certificate, and how she needs to make a call tomorrow to get a legal copy of her birth certificate. She went on and on about how she can't find her birth certificate anywhere and that she had it  and all her important papers hidden from him and all the papers are now missing.   All I could think about was how my birth certificate is sealed by the State of New York along with my birth and adoption records and that she knows who my birthparents are, but for some strange reason she won't tell me anything. And I was angry, to be honest, but I pretended I wasn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment