Sunday, February 12, 2017

Al Jarreau, PBUH

This will age me, but, when I was in college in 1980, I was an ESL (english as a second language) tutor for Japanese Students. I remember when they first arrived to Harrogate Tennessee from Tokyo. They brought over a product that was introduced to the US markets in 1979. I didn't know anyone who had one, but every Japanese student had one; a Sony Walkman. The Sony Walkman was the world's first personal stereo cassette tape deck.
Everytime I think of Al Jarreau I am reminded of this, because at the time, he was huge in Japan, and one of my students let me listen to their Sony Walkman, and the first song I heard was Al Jarreau's song "Mornin." I remember being amazed at how clear and crisp the sound was, and how loudly I could hear the music coming from the tiny headphones, and at the end of the first quarter, they gave me a Sony Walkman as a gift.



May Peace Be Unto Him

other favorites-










No comments:

Post a Comment