Thursday, December 1, 2016

OK

I have a friend who is a know-it-all. He has an answer for everything, so I asked him;

What can be an illogical example of a reason?

He paused for about a minute, and then he said;

"The libertarian non-aggression principle is being argued AGAINST by libertarians, as in this example that is used to demonstrate the "illogical" aspect of a "reason": 

"First, you are standing on the balcony of a 25th story high-rise apartment when, much to your dismay, you lose your footing and fall out. Happily, in your downward descent, you manage to grab onto a flagpole protruding from the 15th floor of the balcony of another apartment, 10 floors below. Unhappily, the owner of this apartment comes out to her balcony, states that you are protesting by holding on to her flag pole, and demands that you let go (e.g., drop another 15 floors to your death). You protest that you only want to hand walk your way down the flag pole, into her apartment, and then right out of it, but she is adamant."
Of course you don't let go, and if she forces you off her flagpole, or in any way prevents you from holding on until firemen arrive, then she is the aggressor."


I thought he was going to say something like "I felt like it." 

"I was jealous." 

"She made me angry and that's why I did it." 

"I didn't stop to think." 
(all explanations for illogical behavior, but they are not logical concepts.)


I said, "ok."


No comments:

Post a Comment