Friday, October 28, 2016

For my interview

yesterday,

I removed my diamond studs from both ears.

I shaved my beard off. I love my beard.
I got rid of my moustache.
I showered, and brushed my teeth.
I oiled my bald head.
I put on a crisp white shirt, put on a red and blue tie.
Put on a suit.
Put on my Jean Paul Gaultier cologne (every time I wear it, women ask if they could smell me)

I made sure to look as conservative as possible.


I didn't want the people to find any reason to prejudge me in addition to what I always expect that they will use.


I know this for a fact;

Just because a company is qualified to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, it doesn't mean that they are. The strength of that law is like a pit bull with no teeth or arms.

Friends always ask me why I always remove my beard and moustache and earrings, or why I even wear a suit when I have an interview. They don't understand that they're born with something that I don't have; the luxury of privilege. I've always known that  I have to do more than one-hundred percent to be considered equal. So, I have to go the extra mile to be acceptable. My extensive resume and my friendly personality means nothing if my skin color trumps it.


So,

over the phone, the recruiter spoke to me about an insurance benefit consultant position that I would be perfect for, but when I showed up for the interview, the position wasn't available; I was told there might be an opening for the insurance benefit consultant position in the future.

So,

yesterday,

I removed my diamond studs from both ears.

I shaved my beard off. 
I got rid of my moustache.
I showered, and brushed my teeth.
I oiled my bald head.
I put on a crisp white shirt, put on a red and blue tie.
Put on a suit.
Put on my Jean Paul Gaultier cologne, and I made sure to look as conservative as possible.

All for nothing. 


But I have no choice but to be hopeful.   My job is somewhere out there. 



2 comments:

  1. The things we have to do huh. Your job is on way, keep believing and doing what you do

    ReplyDelete